Classes, Inheritance, and Children

From: Thomas Swan <tswan(at)olemiss(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Classes, Inheritance, and Children
Date: 2000-07-27 07:06:51
Lists: pgsql-sql

I think I may have asked this before... If I did I'm sorry, but maybe this
attempt, assuming a prior one, may be a little more clear.

create table foo (id int8);
create table bar1 (name text) inherits (foo);
create table bar2 (data text) inherits (foo);
create table hybrid ( ) inherits (bar1, bar2);

INSERT INTO foo VALUES (1);
INSERT INTO bar1 VALUES (2,'myname');
INSERT INTO bar2 VALUES (3,'mydata');
INSERT INTO hybrid VALUES (4,'morename','moredata');

I want to do a SELECT * FROM foo*; but I only get the 'id' column as in :

id
---
1
2
3
4

What would be the query to get the following table or a magical way to
expand children?

I had originally hoped that SELECT * FROM foo* would yield the following,
but it's not so.

id | name | data
---+------------+-------------
1 | null | null
2 | 'myname' | null
3 | null | 'mydata'
4 | 'morename' | 'moredata'
| |

I tried SELECT id, name AS NULL, data AS NULL FROM foo*; but that didn't do
anything but make 2 null columns...

Any help would be ... helpful...

Thanks,
Thomas