Streaming replication and privilege

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Streaming replication and privilege
Date: 2010-03-04 10:47:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Currently superuser privilege is required when the standby connects
to the primary. But there is the complaint that we should add new
privilege for replication and use it instead of superuser because
current approach is not good for security (*1). This has been listed
as one of TODO items of SR.

This TODO item really needs to be addressed for 9.0? Frankly I'm not
familiar with that area, so I've not work on it at all yet, but I'm
going to create the patch if many people want it for 9.0. What is
your opinion?

(*1)
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-01/msg01536.php

Regards,