JDBC Newbie Question

From: "John McLaughlin" <johnm(at)oei(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: JDBC Newbie Question
Date: 2001-10-19 02:46:46
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

I am doing some first tinkering with JDBC and PostgreSQL and I am stumped on
something.

I have a simple Java program that queries a table on the PostgreSQL
workstation successfully. I can iterate through the rows and display them.
However, when I try to update a value, like using:
ResultSet rs;
rs.updateInt("columnName", newIntVal);

The rs.updateInt() seems to succeed (no exceptions thrown), but the database
never gets changed. I am using JBuilder 4, and I *can* make changes to the
DB using the Data Explorer tool. So, the jdbc driver appears to be working.

FYI, my connection logic starts as follows:
Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); // load database
interface
conn = DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:odbc:postgresql", "myusername",
"mypassword");
stmt =
conn.createStatement(ResultSet.TYPE_SCROLL_SENSITIVE,ResultSet.CONCUR_UPDATA
BLE);
res = stmt.executeQuery("SELECT * FROM customer FOR UPDATE");

Any ideas?

--
John McLaughlin