Re: Extensible Rmgr for Table AMs

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Extensible Rmgr for Table AMs
Date: 2021-11-10 01:38:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2021-11-08 at 15:36 -0800, Jeff Davis wrote:
> The attached patch (against v14, so it's easier to test columnar) is
> somewhat like a simplified version of [3] combined with refactoring
> make decoding a part of the rmgr.

I created a wiki page here:
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/ExtensibleRmgr

To coordinate reservation of RmgrIds, to avoid conflicts. I don't
expect it to be a practical problem given how much work it takes to
create a new table AM that needs full WAL support, but might as well
have some transparency on how to choose a new RmgrId.

I also updated the patch to point to the wiki page in the comments, and
added in a new RM_EXPERIMENTAL_ID that can be used while an extension
is still in development. Hopefully this will prevent people reserving
lots of RmgrIds for extensions that never get released.

Regards,
Jeff Davis

Attachment Content-Type Size
extensible-rmgr-pg14-v2.diff text/x-patch 21.4 KB