Add %r substitution for psql prompts to show recovery status

From: Ian Barwick <ian(dot)barwick(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Add %r substitution for psql prompts to show recovery status
Date: 2017-12-07 02:19:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

Attached patch adds an "%r" substitution for psql prompts to show
recovery status. Specifically it displays an "&" (ampersand) if
the server is in recovery, otherwise nothing, e.g.:

postgres=&# SELECT foo;

Why is this useful? Because I find myself messing about with replication
clusters a lot, and it would be nice to have an at-a-glance confirmation
whether I'm connected to a standby or not.

Why an ampersand? Because it's not used for any other prompts, and
it can be used as a mnemonic: "and" -> "st'and'by" (clutching at
straws a bit there I admit, but best I could come up with).

Note this substitution sends a "pg_is_in_recovery()" query to the server
each time it's encountered; unless there's something I'm overlooking I
think that's the only reliable way to determine current recovery status.
A possible alternative would be only to check the status each time a new
database connection is made, but that wouldn't catch the case where the
server has been promoted.

Will submit to next commitfest.

Regards

Ian Barwick

--
Ian Barwick http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Attachment Content-Type Size
psql-recovery-status-prompt.patch text/x-patch 2.2 KB