Re: stupid question

From: rhkelly <rhkelly(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: stupid question
Date: 2004-01-01 17:37:42
Lists: pgsql-novice

Michael Glaesemann wrote:

>> Is there a Postgress documentation section somewhere that
>> would tell me the following:
>>
>> 1) the exact correspondence of the files and tables, indices etc.
>>
>> 2) what are the safe filesystem operations on those files
>> (individual file backup/recovery, moving of files
>> between different postgress computers/installations etc.?
>

> Not to be contrary, but why would you want to know this?

Thanks for your comments Michael; to answer your question:

So that I can put the system into some 'partial/previous'
state in a manner which Postgress itself does not support
and with a high degree of confidence that my actions had
the desired effect (and no catastrophic side-effects :).
I felt it would be a misappropriation of the attention and
patience of the list to get into details; I only humbly
asked for help with the documentation in a thread that was
'on topic' ;) i.e., something I thought *ought to be*
documented (and - at least as fas as item '1' above is
concerned - for puposes other than mine!), but was unable
to find. I'll keep looking.

Roger