Re: Optimize

From: Torsten Schulz <comic(at)be-a-part(dot)de>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Optimize
Date: 2003-11-24 21:33:05
Lists: pgsql-performance

Gaetano Mendola wrote:

> Torsten Schulz wrote:
>
>> Yes, I know: very difficult question, but I don't know what to do now.
>>
>> Our Server:
>> Dual-CPU with 1.2 GHz
>> 1.5 GB RAM
>>
>> Our Problem: We are a Community. Between 19 and 21 o clock we have
>> >350 User in the Community. But then, the Database are very slow. And
>> we have per CPU ~20-30% idle-time.
>

> May we know the postgres version that you are running and
> see the query that run slow ?

Postgres: 7.3.2
Query: All queries

Configuration:
max_connections = 1000 # Must be, if lower then 500 we become
connection-errors
shared_buffers = 5000 # 2*max_connections, min 16
max_fsm_relations = 1000 # min 10, fsm is free space map
max_fsm_pages = 2000000 # min 1000, fsm is free space map
max_locks_per_transaction = 64 # min 10
wal_buffers = 2000 # min 4

sort_mem = 32768 # min 32
vacuum_mem = 32768 # min 1024

fsync = false

enable_seqscan = true
enable_indexscan = true
enable_tidscan = true
enable_sort = true
enable_nestloop = true
enable_mergejoin = true
enable_hashjoin = true

effective_cache_size = 96000 # default in 8k pages

That are all uncommented lines. I've found the values in internet and
had tested it. But in performance are no difference between old
configuration an this.

> Is also usefull take a look at your postgresql configuration.
> You can see doing select * from pg_stat_activity the
> queries that are currently running on your server, and
> do a explain analize on it to see which one is the
> bottleneck. If you are running the 7.4 you can see on
> the log the total ammount for each query.

I'll show tomorrow for this, today it is too late, the performance is
now perfect. It's only slow on this 2 hours with so many users on server.

Oh, and i can't update to 7.4. The Chat don't run with libraries of 7.4