PostgreSQL 7.4RC2 compile faliure on Solaris

From: Mark Round <mark(at)markround(dot)com>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL 7.4RC2 compile faliure on Solaris
Date: 2003-11-12 10:43:06
Lists: pgsql-ports

Hello,

I am having trouble building PostgreSQL 7.4RC2 on Solaris. I have tried
on 5 different systems - running Solaris 8 (Sparc and Intel), and
Solaris 9 (Intel). I have also tried building with 2 versions of gcc and
Sun's Sun ONE Compiler - all result in the same error being produced.

I attempt to build it with a simple ./configure && gmake, and each time,
I get the following error :

Undefined first referenced
symbol in file
PQparameterStatus pg_backup_db.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to pg_dump
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
gmake[3]: *** [pg_dump] Error 1

My software versions are :-

Solaris 8 and 9 on both Sparc and Intel
Gnu Make 3.80
Gcc 2.95.3 , 3.3.2. and Sun One Studio 8 Compiler 8.0,REV=2003.03.13
Bison 1.875
Flex 2.5.4

I don't know if it's something that I'm doing wrong, or if it is a
genuine bug in the build process - either way, I thought it was best to
notify you! If you need any further information regarding my build
environments, or if you need me to run any tests I'd be happy to oblige.
Also, if you have any information as to what I'm doing wrong it would be
appreciated :)

Thanks,

-Mark Round
mark(at)markround(dot)com