Re: Committing Resources to Win32

From: Marsh Ray <marsh-pg(at)mysteray(dot)com>
To: jjones(at)aantix(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Committing Resources to Win32
Date: 2003-11-11 12:22:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Jim Jones wrote:

>If you guys have already discussed the following possibilities, I
>apologize. I joined the list late.
>
>The correct way to create a high performance server on the Windows
>platform (NT, Advanced Server, etc) is to utilize IO Completion Ports.

I would think that you could probably get 80% of the performance with
ordinary threads and ordinary blocking IO, and without the great
increase in complexity required to implement asynchronous IO. If someone
then wants to go after a possible 25% performance gain, they could
submit a working set of modifications, or wait a few months for the
hardware to catch up.

- Marsh