Re: Getting up and running on Red Hat 9

From: "Eric S(dot) Johansson" <esj(at)harvee(dot)org>
To: Paul Linehan <plinehan(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Getting up and running on Red Hat 9
Date: 2003-10-24 18:25:48
Lists: pgsql-novice

Paul Linehan wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm fairly new to Linux and totally new to
> PostgreSQL, so bear with me please. I do have lots
> of experience with Interbase, Firebird, MS SQL
> and Oracle.
>
> I have just installed Red Hat 9, which went fine.
>
> I then wanted to install PostgreSQL, so I decided to
> go with the one on the Linux distro.
>

> I went to the Services area in the system menu
> and ticked the PostgreSQL box. Now, on booting
> if I do ps -All | grep postmaster, I get
>
> --
> 0 S 26 2208 1 0 75 0 - 2392 schedu ?
> 00:00:00 postmaster
> 1 S 26 2210 2208 0 85 0 - 2640 schedu ?
> 00:00:00 postmaster
> 1 S 26 2211 2210 0 85 0 - 2398 schedu ?
> 00:00:00 postmaster
> --
>
> So, I figure that the postgreSQL server is running.
>
> Then, I type (as myself as a user - Paul).
>
> rpm -ivh pgadmin3-1.0.0-1.i386.rpm
>
> But, I have no idea how to start up the admin tool,
> or what other steps that I should take to get a
> couple of databases up and running so that I can
> administer them using the tool.
>
> What do I type and where? At the moment, I don't
> wish to install from source!
personally, I'm not sure how to run pgadmin3 myself because I've
primarily used webmin and psql.

Little bits of black magic have learned include:

Give your postgres user a password with postgresql turned off. Why? It
appears that the startup process for postgresql copies over passwords
from the password file into itself on startup if the user in postgresql
exists in the UNIX password file. For example, it will not copy the
root password unless you create a database user called root.

The stock configuration files do not have logging turned on and I really
need to go searching for how to turn on logging.

always run as postgres during your initial testing. That's the
equivalent of root for the database (I think)

don't be afraid to dive in with psql and look at the tables. \d is your
friend.

another friend is "rm -rf" which you will use on the database files
regularly as you make mistakes.

---eric

--
Speech recognition in use. Incorrect endings, words, and case is
closer than it appears