Re: PGAdmin 3 on Debian Testing: Failure

From: Raphaël Enrici <blacknoz(at)club-internet(dot)fr>
To: Erwin Brandstetter <a9006241(at)unet(dot)univie(dot)ac(dot)at>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PGAdmin 3 on Debian Testing: Failure
Date: 2003-10-15 15:38:50
Lists: pgadmin-support

Erwin Brandstetter wrote:

> Hi Raphaël!

Hi Erwin,

> Due to your hints i found out, that the problem is my X-configuration.
> I am trying to fix it (which turns out to be tricky) and will report
> back, when i find a solution.

If I can give you an advice concerning the installation of X on debian,
you should at least consider installing the meta-package: x-window-system.
To do this, simply type the following as root:
apt-get -u install x-window-system

If you prefer you can try to run "tasksel" and select a desktop
environment, it's quite well done and should work rapidly if you know
your graphic card.

> Maybe I was naiv, but I did not know pgadmin3 needs an X-server to be
> installed. I only read about wxWindows and assumed this would be
> installed with the pgadmin3-.debs by apt-get automatically. As I
> mentioned, I am no Linux Guru. I use the Linux system as database
> server and had no need for X so far.

If I understand well, your linux box is only a database server that you
use from other os ?
If you are planning to use pgadmin3 from a Windows host, you should
consider installing the win32 packages on your windows box and it should
be enough.... If you are planning to use pgadmin3 directly (I mean
physically) on the linux host, then go on with the Xwindow installation.
If you enconunter problem with this, contact me, I'll try to help
although it is another problem :)

regards,
Raphaël