Re: Some comments on the marketing texts

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Some comments on the marketing texts
Date: 2003-10-12 17:13:04
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hello,

As someone who has to walk both sides of the line... sales/marketing
and geek, I find it best
to keep a moderate sales pitch that revolves around honesty.

Volvo's are boxy (sp?) but there good!

PostgreSQL is arguably the fastest relational database under heavy load.

PostgreSQL is the only widely used ACID compliant database. (followed
up with a link to a reasonable description
about why MySQL is not ACID complian)

PostgreSQL has the most flexible licensing model of all widely
deployed Open Source Databases.

PostgreSQL is the only open source database (this needs to be
verified) that supports required database features
such as SQL Compliance (this would have to be worded a little
differently), User defined functions, Triggers, View etc...

PostgreSQL has the widest range of externernal language support
available of any database (this is marketing fluff but fairly true).
Including:

Java
C#/.Net
C/C++
Perl
PHP
Python
TCL
Ruby

Note that the list is not alphabetical, but actually listed in order
of deployment. If you read the rags (InfoWorld, Enterprise Comuting, SD
Times) that is pretty much the order. Language religion is irrelevant here.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

+1-503-222-2783 - jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com - http://www.commandprompt.com
Editor-N-Chief - PostgreSQl.Org - http://www.postgresql.org