Re: Queries sometimes take 1000 times the normal time

From: "Shridhar Daithankar" <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Queries sometimes take 1000 times the normal time
Date: 2003-08-28 06:49:07
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 28 Aug 2003 at 1:07, Anders K. Pedersen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We're running a set of Half-Life based game servers that lookup user
> privileges from a central PostgreSQL 7.3.4 database server (I recently
> ported the MySQL code in Adminmod to PostgreSQL to be able to do this).
>
> The data needed by the game servers are combined from several different
> tables, so we have some views set up to provide the data in the format
> needed.
>
> Currently there's only a few users in the database for testing purposes,
> and most of the time the user lookup's take 2-3 ms (I have syslog'ing of
> queries and duration turned on), but several times per hour the duration
> for one of the queries is 2-3 seconds (1000 times larger), while the
> surrounding lookups take the usual 2-3 ms.

Check vmstat during the same period if it is syncing at that point as Tom
suggested.

Are you using pooled connections? If yes you could shorten life of a connection
and force making a new connection every 10-15 minutes say. That would avoid IO
avelanche at the end of the hour types.

HTH.

Bye
Shridhar

--
ignorance, n.: When you don't know anything, and someone else finds out.