Re: Some remarks to pgadmin III

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: "Adam H(dot) Pendleton" <fmonkey(at)fmonkey(dot)net>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Some remarks to pgadmin III
Date: 2003-08-15 17:29:16
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Adam H. Pendleton wrote:

> Andreas Pflug wrote:
>
>> Adam, I believe it's time you have a look at the source what's really
>> going on there. The grid doesn't have control over the data, it's
>> pgadmin3 managing it.
>

> Yeah, that's a good idea. :-) Not today, though, my head hurts.
> Besides, I don't really want to be able to sort the data, I just just
> trying to help claudius. :)
>
>> Minimize/Maximize is implemented by GDI and gtk, Select All is not.
>> You want to change the Win API? Good luck....
>> BTW, Alt-A is quite a bad idea, Alt keys should be left free for
>> application shortcuts, not used by controls.
>

> Okay, as much as I hate to admit it, I was wrong. It looks like (at
> least as far as wxWindows is concerned) if we want to support Ctrl-A,
> we would have to implement it ourself. It shouldn't be too hard,
> though, the question would be:
>
> *) What key sequence(s) are we going to support?
> *) What does Ctrl-A (or whatever) mean depending on what
> window/box/control is selected. A Ctrl-A in the tree view would be
> very different from a Ctrl-A in the SQL pane.
>
> Do we want to do this, if so, what are the answers to the above
> questions.

At the moment, controls that are designated for large editing jobs *do*
support Ctrl-A and a lot of other stuff (deriving their capabilities
from STC, the wxWindows embedded Scintilla), so I'm quite comfortable
with the current implementation. Documenting current keys would be nice,
unfortunately wxWindows isn't too verbose about STC's keys...

Regards,
Andreas