Re: Translation: Languages

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Þórhallur Hálfdánarson <tolli(at)tol(dot)li>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: Translation: Languages
Date: 2003-07-16 08:33:28
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

>On Wednesday 16 July 2003 03:09, Haller Hálfdánarson wrote:
>

>>CVS snapshot since... two nights ago (?) indicates some to and some do not
>>translate it.
>>

>Language names are extracted automatically. I would prefer a solution where
>only the translated names appear: fr_FR Français, en_US English, de_DE
>Deutsch... But this is not possible as the menu is displayed in one font. All
>languages cannot be displayed in one Unicode font. So the problem remains...
>
>I don't have a clear opinion yet. To save translator time, it may be
>preferable to keep the English names for languages.

Right, but for a minimum, at least the native language name must be
translated.

>Before we do, could we have more input on the technical side. Is it possible
>to avoid the extraction of language names?

The language names are extracted from a file that's put into the
pgadmin3 source tree for that sole purpose. It just would have to be
removed to avoid extraction. But it's certainly there on purpose...
When starting pgadmin3 for the first time, the language selection is
presented in the default locale, assuming that the user should be able
to handle the system language. So if a Japanese sits in front of a
Islandic machine, and he succeeds starting pgadmin3, he should be able
to locate his preferred language in the selection. Ultimatively, the
locale canonical name is always displayed, so if you messed up
something, you'd still be able to locate some known language.

At the moment, language names are taken from internal wxWindows
structures, by iterating the languages being present. These names are
stored english, and are translated with standard gettext. Another
approach would be to have an own list of languages, with pre-translated
strings in it. This would enable us to display every language name in
its native language right from the start.

Regards,
Andreas