Re: libpq:Find Table Name

From: Christoph Haller <ch(at)rodos(dot)fzk(dot)de>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org, adam(at)piggz(dot)fsnet(dot)co(dot)uk
Subject: Re: libpq:Find Table Name
Date: 2003-07-14 11:46:35
Lists: pgsql-cygwin pgsql-interfaces

> Am currently writing (or trying to at least) a postgresql driver for
the
> koffice app kexi.
>
> The driver requires that i subclass some kexi classes, one being a
class that
> represents a field.
>
> I know the SQL statement used to generate the result and for each
field inthe
> result i create an object. However, one property of the object is the
table
> name for the field. Other properties require that i know the table
name, eg
> given the table and field names i can query the system catalogs to get
things
> like contraints.
>
> In the my_sql c library, the result (tuble) structure contains a filed

> structure that contains the table name that the particular field
originated
> in, but libpq doesnt seem to have any similar kind of functionality
(and i
> have looked a lot i think)
>
> Has anyone any suggestions on how i can achieve getting the table name
for a
> filed in a result without having to parse the sql statement (which i
dont
> think wold be easy).

I very much doubt there is such thing, because the result may come from
a complex join or a function. What does MySQL do when it cames to this?
I have no idea, but am pretty sure that's why there is no similar field
in libpq. And even parsing the query would win you nothing, because of
the reason above.
Regards, Christoph