Re: close() vs. closesocket()

From: mlw <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: close() vs. closesocket()
Date: 2003-04-25 12:29:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

In porting to Windows, I would create a new source file called pgsocket,
or something, and implement *all* the socket cruft there. Where ever you
mess with a socket, i.e. send, recv, poll, accept, listen,
get/setsockopt, select, etc. make it a function. Furthermore, try to
bring some of the logical cruft that goes along with sockets and bring
it into the module, i.e. don't call select(...) then call recv, call
SocketSelectRead(...).

Windows' sockets aren't very good. They will be good enough to be
functional, but eventually, someone will want to rewrite with completion
ports.