Re: Who puts the Windows binaries on the FTP server?

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Who puts the Windows binaries on the FTP server?
Date: 2003-03-06 14:11:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Justin Clift writes:
>
>>Yep, that's the first "Proof of Concept" build, and it *prominently* has
>>a message at the start of the installation that says to email me with
>>any problems about it.
>
> Maybe a so-called "Proof of Concept" build could be put into an area on
> the FTP server that conveys that fact in the directory names (like "test"
> or "contrib" or whatever). Because those who need a more production-grade
> build will likely confuse this.

That's probably not a bad idea.

It has warnings *all over it* (main window title, big warning messages
during the install, etc), but we know from experience that some people
don't read anything and just click the Next button until things finish.

Marc, what do you feel? How about a "testing" or "development" or
similar base directory on the website to put testing releases?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

- Indira Gandhi