Re: System Tables and Triggers

From: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Stef Telford <stef(at)chronozon(dot)artofdns(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: System Tables and Triggers
Date: 2003-03-02 08:11:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Stef

I had the same problem some time ago. I wanted to define a trigger
firing on CREATE TABLE (pg_class). This won't work because in most cases
system tables are not accessed using the "standard" way for processing
queries (parse -> rewrite -> plan -> execute). Therefore triggers are
not allowed. Triggers could lead to conflicts and corruption. I have
done some code digging and I have removed the warning you have shown. It
does not help - I guess there is no way to get rid of the problem. All
you can do is to write a function doing the job for you. System tables
don't care about events too much.

There used to be a whole thread on this subject matter called "Triggers
and System Tables" - maybe digging the archives will give you a broader
view of the problem.

Too bad - it would be a nice feature :).

In my case I have solved the problem with the help of a view and a set
of rules - maybe this will work for you as well. Also, functions are a
good choice.

Regards,

Hans

--
*Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig*
Ludo-Hartmannplatz 1/14, A-1160 Vienna, Austria