Re: Locking rows

From: Jean-Christian Imbeault <jc(at)mega-bucks(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Doug McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Locking rows
Date: 2003-02-28 16:49:33
Lists: pgsql-general

Doug McNaught wrote:

> If you use a single query to generate the rows, this will not be a
> problem.
>
> If you use multiple queries, execute them all inside a transaction and
> you will get a consistent view of the database.
>
> No locking needed.

True but what I am worried about is the data changing while I am in a
transaction.

Right now I want to print customer receipts for items that have been
ordered. But while I gathering the data, which takes more than one
query, a customer might come along and cancel an invoice.

In that case I would print a receipt for something that was cancelled.

I need to find a way to avoid this. I thought locking was a way around
this ... or maybe I need to change my "business" logic or the way the
app gathers the data?

Jc