REPEATED INSERT INTO ...

From: Christoph Haller <ch(at)rodos(dot)fzk(dot)de>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: REPEATED INSERT INTO ...
Date: 2003-02-24 12:22:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I've noticed subsequent executions of the same insert command are slow.
I've searched the list archives for this matter and found several
entries
related, including suggestions how to speed up.
The standard answer from the core team is, use COPY.
Sorry, but this is from an application point of view not really an
option
if you're dealing with program variables.
We used to have an INGRES installation around, and since I know Postgres

is based on it, may be this old INGRES feature is worth to consider:

Taken from the Reference Manual
[REPEATED] INSERT INTO ...

The key word REPEATED directs INGRES to encode the INSERT and save its
execution plan when it is first executed. This encoding can account for
significant performance improvements on subsequent executions of the
same INSERT.

What do you others think of it?

Regards, Christoph