Re: Indexing foreign keys

From: Matt Mello <alien(at)spaceship(dot)com>
To: PgSQL Performance ML <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Indexing foreign keys
Date: 2003-01-28 05:46:46
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-performance

Ron Johnson wrote:
> When you say "I created an index on those 2 fields", so you mean on
> the fields in the 400K row table, or on the keys in the "fact tables"
> that the 400K row table?
>
> Also, in IFX, could the creation of the foreign indexes have implicitly
> created indexes?
> The reason I ask is that this is what happens in Pg when you create a
> PK.

The 400K row table has 2 fields that are FK fields. The already-indexed
PK fields that they reference are in another table. I just recently
added indexes to the 2 FK fields in the 400K row table to get the speed
boost.

Yes. In IFX, when you create a FK, it seems to create indexes
automatically for you, just like PG does with PK's.

In fact, I can't imagine a situation where you would NOT want a FK
indexed. I guess there must be one, or else I'm sure the developers
would have already added auto-creation of indexes to the FK creation, as
well.

--
Matt Mello