Missing Data Directory

From: Jon Williams <jkw1(at)students(dot)uwf(dot)edu>
To: PostgreSQL NOVICE listserve <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Missing Data Directory
Date: 2002-11-30 18:54:44
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello,

When I try to start PostgreSQL, this happens:

[root(at)betelgeuse /root]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start
Starting postgresql service: /usr/bin/postmaster does not find the
database system. Expected to find it in the PGDATA directory
"/var/lib/pgsql", but unable to open file with pathname
"/var/lib/pgsql/base/template1/pg_class".

No data directory -- can't proceed.
postmaster []
[root(at)betelgeuse /root]#

The same thing happens when PostgreSQL tries to start when the system
boots up. I have tried everything I can think of including reinstalling
PostgreSQL (which by the way was done through RPM). What do I need to
do to create pg_class? Is there anything else I need to do to get
PostgreSQL to work?

(I am using Red Hat Linux 6.0 and PostgreSQL version 6.4.2.)

Jon Williams