Make a table of unique words from text Column?

From: "Phillip J(dot) Allen" <paallen(at)attglobal(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Make a table of unique words from text Column?
Date: 2002-09-25 15:21:26
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi all,

It is time for me to start data mining a data base.

I have table with 4 fields east(float8), north(float8),
elevation(float8) and memo (varchar). As you can tell this is a GIS
data. The memo field consists of descriptions transcribed from a map.
Now these descriptions were written over a peroid of 40-50 years by
various authors. So spelling has changed (complete words and
abbreviations) and english to spanish.

I want to scan throught this memo field and make a unique word list and
drop it into a new table. Then I can see exactly what words they used
and can start to filter and re-organized it into something usefull and
turn it into a thematic map.

Any suggestions where to begin?

Thanks,

Phillip J. Allen