problems with on delete cascade

From: Michael Zouroudis <mzouroudis(at)idealcorp(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: problems with on delete cascade
Date: 2002-09-13 17:20:51
Lists: pgadmin-support

to: anyone who can help:

i am developing a db in pl/pgsql at work and i am having problems with
one final part; the deleting of ref. int. rows. there are three
tables, which i will list below as close as possible to what i remember
(i'm at home and don't have my notes).

create table goodbye (
goodbye_id serial primary key,
whenn text,
wheree text,
how text,
isbn int
);

create table hello (
hello_id serial primary key,
goodbye_id int,
how text,
isbn int,
constraints hello_goodbye_id_fk foreign key references
goodbye(goodbye_id) on delete cascade
);

create table aidos (
adios_id serial primary key,
cost money,
title text
);

create table goodbye_adios (
goodbye_id int,
adios_id int,
constraint goodbye_adios_goodbye_id_fk foreign key references
goodbye(goodbye_id) on delete cascade,
constraint goodbye_adios_adios_id_fk foreign key references
adios(adios_id) on delete cascade
);

like i said, this is as close as i can remember.

the problem that occurs is that when i do a delete statement on the
goodbye_adios table, it will automatically delete from the goodbye_adios
table and the goodbye table, but not the record from the adios table. i
searched all day and seemed to be doing what the docs told me to, but to
no avail. it's been bothering me all night so if anybody knows how to
work the cascade effect properly please email me back at either of these
addresses;

mazuru(at)prodigy(dot)net
mazuru(at)aol(dot)com
mzouroudis(at)idealcorp(dot)com