An opportunity to prove PostgreSQL and our requirement of Case Study info

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: An opportunity to prove PostgreSQL and our requirement of Case Study info
Date: 2002-09-13 05:28:12
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Hi everyone,

An interesting development.

Afilias and LibertyRMS, the people who've been happily running the .info
namespace on PostgreSQL servers, are the technical backend of the ISOC
application for management of the .org
namespace. However, ICANN is asking for more detail about the backend
database, to
prove it is an "appropriate choice for a mission critical
applications". In particular, ICANN wants proof that other companies
are using PostgreSQL for Mission Critical things.

The Oracle/DB2/Sybase/etc guys have an advantage here because they
already have a bunch of case studies prepared and we're only beginning
to get these together.

Afilias and LibertyRMS are looking to pull as much relevant info
together as possible and prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that
PostgreSQL is up to the task, in time for their presentation on
Saturday.

The kind of thing they're after is stuff that executives will be
interested in. i.e. Case Studies and examples of other businesses
running PostgreSQL happily for Mission Critical stuff, under high load,
and getting support when they need it, etc.

The questions that ICANN have asked are online here:

http://www.icann.org/tlds/org/questions-to-applicants-13.htm

As you can see there is only a 2 day timeframe in which Afilias &
LibertyRMS can get the info they need together, including today, so
there's not much time.

The details of the ISOC application itself is online here if anyone is
interested:

http://www.icann.org/tlds/org/applications/isoc/

A point to make clear is this is not in any way an endorsement of their
application. Some of the other places bidding also have significant
interests in PostgreSQL. The only thing we're interested in here is
showing off that PostgreSQL itself is up to the task.

Can people please come forward to help them out with info about the
reliability and performance of PostgreSQL in Mission Critical
situations?

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift