Re: Newbie confused about pg_hba/md5 and password field

From: Scott Dunbar <scott(at)xigole(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Newbie confused about pg_hba/md5 and password field
Date: 2002-08-21 20:55:30
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Bruce,
Thanks for the information. On further testing I indeed cannot
reproduce the issue with a standalone program, only with the authlib
that I'm trying to get to work. I did learn that my thinking was wrong
though. I thought the AUTH_TYPE in pg_hba.conf was for transport only,
having nothing to do with the encryption used to encrypt passwords in
pg_shadow. That does not appear to be the case as if you use md5 in
your pg_shadow and just "password" in your pg_hba.conf file you'll get
an error.

I'll keep digging. I am confident that my libpg.so is correct as this
is a new installation of everything.

Thanks again for the feedback.