Re: Wish List: Client access to NUMERIC/DECIMAL type functions

From: "Warren W(dot) Gay VE3WWG" <ve3wwg(at)cogeco(dot)ca>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Wish List: Client access to NUMERIC/DECIMAL type functions
Date: 2002-07-12 13:55:06
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Jan Wieck wrote:

>"Warren W. Gay VE3WWG" wrote:
>
>>It would be nice to see client side access to the decimal
>>routines used by PostgreSQL to support the decimal/numeric
>>data types. Are there any plans for that to happen?
>>

>If you mean to make the arbitrary precision arithmetic available inside
>of the libpq, no there are no such plans.

Yes.

>The functions, which you can find in src/backend/utils/adt/numeric.c,
>are designed and optimized to live inside of the PostgreSQL database
>backend. There are several other arbitrary precision packages out in the
>world, that fit alot better into client applications.

I understand the "optimized" position. But the rest does not make sense
to me.

If I use the binary interface, I now have to convert your "decimal" number
to someone else's format, so I can do something with it.

Oracle or INFORMIX OTOH, provide the user access to
routines to manipulate their builtin data types. This is what
I would hope that PostgreSQL's client interface would work
towards. It would certainly make it a lot more "client friendly".

As far as other "decimal" packages in the Open Source wild, I don't know
of any,
but I'll admit that I've not looked too hard yet.
The GNU GMP is a multi-precision INTEGER or fraction library, but doesn't
support what is needed. If you know differently, I welcome links. But I
still
maintain that it makes the most sense, to have PostgreSQL native support
for their special builtin types.

--
Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
http://home.cogeco.ca/~ve3wwg