Re: pg_lo_import alternative ...

From: Adam Ruth <adamruth(at)mac(dot)com>
To: kent(at)wareham(dot)k12(dot)ma(dot)us
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Andrei Bintintan" <klodoma(at)ar-sd(dot)net>
Subject: Re: pg_lo_import alternative ...
Date: 2003-11-26 21:33:56
Lists: pgsql-admin

I'm storing images and files in the database. I have a database server
with all of the binaries and several web servers that attach to it.
The web servers are for load balancing and each maintain a cache of
image files locally. It is the cached images that are served by the
web servers. When a request comes in, the web server checks to the
database server to see if there's a newer file, and if so it downloads
the file and stores it in the cache. If not, it just uses the cached
version.

This helps us out because changes to images and files themselves are
part of transactions, not just changes to their names. Backup is
easier because I don't have to worry about a mismatch between the files
and the names in the database. Also, I can have one connection
changing making changes to a file or image while another downloads the
last committed version without having to worry about any contention for
it.

Let me know if you're interested in any of our implementation details.

Adam Ruth