Re: generating dynamic queries using pl/pgsql

From: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
To: sarlav kumar <sarlavk(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>, pgsqlnovice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: generating dynamic queries using pl/pgsql
Date: 2005-01-21 21:41:42
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Jan 21, 2005, at 11:44 AM, sarlav kumar wrote:

> The problem is that I dont have permission to create directories as a
> postgres user.
> If I can get the \copy command or the \! pg_dump command to work, that
> would be great.

The commands starting with \ are psql commands. They are only executed
on the client side by psql. Stored procedures of course run on the
server, and don't know anything about psql \commands. What you can do
is setup a script for psql that first calls your stored procedure and
then uses \copy or \!pg_dump. But you can't put these commands in the
stored procedure.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL