Re: Schemas: status report, call for developers

From: Bill Cunningham <billc(at)ballydev(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, pgsql-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Schemas: status report, call for developers
Date: 2002-04-30 20:46:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

Tom Lane wrote:

>Bill Cunningham <billc(at)ballydev(dot)com> writes:
>
>>I would think this should produce the following:
>>

>>test=# \d mytab
>> Table "bar.mytab"
>> Column | Type | Modifiers
>>--------+---------+-----------
>> f1 | text |
>> f1 | integer |
>>

>> Table "foo.mytab"
>> Column | Type | Modifiers
>>--------+---------+-----------
>> f2 | text |
>> f3 | integer |
>>

>Even when schemas bar and foo are not in your search path? (And,
>perhaps, not even accessible to you?)
>
>My gut feeling is that "\d mytab" should tell you about the same
>table that "select * from mytab" would find. Anything else is
>probably noise to you --- if you wanted to know about foo.mytab,
>you could say "\d foo.mytab".
>
>However, \d is not a wildcardable operation AFAIR. For the commands
>that do take wildcard patterns (like \z), I'm not as sure what should
>happen.
>
> regards, tom lane

So we now have a default schema name of the current user? For example:

foobar(at)somewhere> psql testme
testme=# select * from mytab

Table "foobar.mytab"
Column | Type | Modifiers
f2 | text |
f3 | integer |

like that? This is exactly how DB2 operates, implict schemas for each user.

- Bill Cunningham