Correctly quoting inside plpgsql functions

From: alberto bolchini <alberto(at)melloni49(dot)it>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Correctly quoting inside plpgsql functions
Date: 2002-04-20 10:47:23
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi all.
I'm trying to create a function which should return a cursor (to be used
from a jdbc connection) and I'm experiencing problems in quoting (I believe)
correctly inside the function:

<code>
jsg_2=# CREATE FUNCTION myfun(char(2)) RETURNS refcursor AS
jsg_2-# ' DECLARE
jsg_2'# l_lang alias for $1;
jsg_2'# l_cursor refcursor;
jsg_2'# BEGIN
jsg_2'# OPEN l_cursor FOR EXECUTE
jsg_2'# ''SELECT * FROM t INNER JOIN i18n ON t.id=i18n.id AND
i18n.language_id='' || quote_ident(l_lang) || '' ORDER BY description'';
jsg_2'# RETURN l_cursor;
jsg_2'# END;
jsg_2'# ' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';
CREATE
jsg_2=# select myfun('en',0);
NOTICE: Error occurred while executing PL/pgSQL function myfun
NOTICE: line 5 at open
ERROR: Attribute 'en' not found
</code>

The Function intially gets parsed, but when called with the parameter, it
seems that no quotes are around the first variable.

What am I missing?

alberto.