Re: Estimating Database Disk Space

From: Richard A Lough <ralough(dot)ced(at)dnet(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: ralough(at)iee(dot)org, PostgreSQL Novice ML <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Estimating Database Disk Space
Date: 2002-03-23 15:40:32
Lists: pgsql-novice

Tom Lane wrote:

> Richard A Lough <ralough(dot)ced(at)dnet(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> > Only one of my active databases
> > shows significant figures (recently increased):
>
> > relpages | relname
> > 17473 pg_attribute_relid_attnam_index
> > 7267 pg_attribute_relid_attnum_index
> > 3245 pg_attribute
>
> Yipes ... you must do a lot of table creation and deletion.
>
> The index bloat here is a known result of inefficiency in vacuuming
> indexes (there's no good way to reclaim index pages at the moment).
> You could probably fix it by REINDEXing pg_attribute, but it might
> be easier to just dump, dropdb, createdb, reload that database.

I kinda suspected something was not quite right. The input method
is a perl script which was "borrowed." It's probably not the most
efficient for this task, but it works and code reuse is good, no? :-)

> Yes, there's a TODO item to improve index vacuuming ...

Speaking of TODO's, I think I have enough material for a first draft
on disk storage use. If you can point me at your documentation people
I will forward it.

Thanks again for your help.

Richard A Lough