Re: quotes in SET grammar

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: quotes in SET grammar
Date: 2002-02-27 13:27:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Surely for compatibility with existing apps, you'd need to allow both...

For this particular case I would not think that is a consideration. In
SQL, the double quotes are used for identifiers only, and the single
quotes are used for strings etc. The latter is the category of input for
arguments to SET.

But it is not an issue for now; we will continue to support single
quotes and allow double quotes at least for 7.2.x.

- Thomas