Trying Cygwin version of PostgreSQL

From: Peter <peter(at)helpnet(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Trying Cygwin version of PostgreSQL
Date: 2002-02-20 23:51:50
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hello PostgreSQL,
I am trying to install the PostgreSQL 7.2 downloaded by Cygwin but the
install does not match any of the documentation. Help!

Last year I installed PostgreSQL 7.1 on NT for a one off project then
deleted it. I used the pg download then added Cygwin using the Cygwin
download. Everything worked after I put together documentation from
several included files, a few web pages and lots of experiments.

This time I am attempting to use the Cygwin download including
PostgreSQL. The documentation is scattered over several documents and
none match the actual installation process.

I resorted to trial and error. Initdb hangs when "Creating template1
database" so there must be a step missing. Given the many "try this"
paragraphs across several documents, I estimate the number of
combinations will exceed the storage capacity of a 32 bit integer.

Should I give up on Cygwin and go back to what I did last time? Is there
a document or web page that describes a successful installation step by
step?

Peter