PL/PGSQL function problem

From: Mark Hesketh <renmark(at)iprimus(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PL/PGSQL function problem
Date: 2002-01-17 10:19:02
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi there,

Can someone tell me if there's a fairly obvious reason why when I run a
function I've written it runs twice?

Here's the code (replete with debug - sorry). The basic structure has a
number of nested 'for' loops. The trace debug
reveals that it's running twice through yet I'm only issueing "select
generateshiftcandidatedata();" x 1.

Any help would be great.

Mark

create function generateShiftCandidateData() returns integer as '
DECLARE
rolesRec RECORD;
skillsRec RECORD;
availRec RECORD;
shiftRec RECORD;
conditionRec RECORD;
conditionsToMeet BOOLEAN := TRUE;
rowcount integer := 0;
availCount integer := 0;
counter integer := 0;
available boolean := FALSE;
done boolean := FALSE;

begin
/* find all roles */
--for rolesRec in select * from role loop
for rolesRec in select * from role where role_id = 20 loop
raise notice ''Checking for role %... '',rolesRec.role_id;

for skillsRec in select * from employee_skill where "RoleID" =
rolesRec.role_id loop
if not done then
get diagnostics rowcount = ROW_COUNT;
if rowcount > 0 then
raise notice '' No. of employees for Role % = %'',
rolesRec.role_id, rowcount;
end if;
done := not done;
end if;

/* find all availabilities for employees found */
raise notice ''checking availability for
employee(%)...'',skillsRec.EmployeeID;
select into availCount count(*) from availability where
"EmployeeID" = skillsRec.EmployeeID;
raise notice ''... available for % days'', availCount;
for availRec in select * from availability where
"EmployeeID" = skillsRec.EmployeeID loop

/* find all shifts for this role (does ordering matter?) */
for shiftRec in select * from shift where "RoleID" =
rolesRec.role_id order by "StartTime" loop

/*
for conditionRec in select * from shift_condition
where "ShiftID" = shiftRec.ShiftID loop

if conditionsToMeet then

end if;

end loop;
*/

/* now, find candidates */
available := isAvailable(shiftRec.StartTime,
shiftRec.StopTime, availRec.FromTime, availRec.ToTime);
if available then
raise notice '' employee % '', availRec.EmployeeID;
raise notice '' is available to perform shift
%'', shiftRec.ShiftID;
perform recordCandidate(availRec.EmployeeID,
shiftRec.RoleID, shiftRec.ShiftID, shiftRec.Duration);
else
--raise notice '' Employee % was not available for
shift %'',availRec.EmployeeID, shiftRec.ShiftID;
end if;
end loop;
end loop;
end loop;
counter := counter + 1;
raise notice ''No of roles processed = %'',counter;
end loop;

/* all was fine... */
RETURN 0;
end;