Re: Error Writing/Reading Encrypted Values

From: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: cnliou(at)eurosport(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Error Writing/Reading Encrypted Values
Date: 2002-01-15 06:52:17
Lists: pgsql-odbc

cnliou(at)eurosport(dot)com wrote:

> Greetings! Hiroshi,
>
> [ begin of quote ]
> > > I also found in Windoz that when my encryption
> > > routine aborts, the retrieved encrypted string is
> > > actually corrupted - its string length is 1 byte
> > > longer than it is supposed to be.
> >
> > There could be the following case.
> >
> > Windows client *nix server
> >
> > '\n' ---> '\n'
> > (not preceded by 'r')
> > \r\n <--- '\n'
> >
> > [ end of quote ]
> >
> > I will check this out.
> > My C routine does not add the *unwanted* '\r'. I
> > won't think delphi does that either. Does
> pgsqlODBC
> > do this unwanted conversion?
>
> Yes. Do people want a new option ?
> [ end of quote ]
>
> Please first pardon my ignorance of too many things
> including ODBC.
>
> I presume all people want is a "raw" data extracted
> from database without any translation except for
> multi-byte characters.

I don't know the history but psqlodbc driver seems
to have been unchanged about this point since long.
Probably someone wanted this conversion long ago
for e.g. editing sentences with new lines and it's
pretty useful for Windows' users.
However it doesn't seem preferable for *nix clients
which don't need \r(Carriage Return)s for new lines.
I have seen the request to add an option to enable
/disable new lines conversion only once pretty long
ago.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue