blobs in a client/server environment

From: Matt Fair <matt(at)netasol(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: blobs in a client/server environment
Date: 2001-09-26 21:52:40
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hello,
I have been playing around with storing images with setBinaryStream and
getBinaryStream for a couple of days now, but I am continually running
into a problem. I don't know if I am getting the data in the right
format or not, but I am not able to get my image from the database.
I have a client/server environment and when I get the image back from
the database that is done on the server. So I do not want to write the
InputStream as a file, instead as an array of bytes which are sent back
to the client.
I recive no errors when putting the image into the database and getting
the image out of the database, where I get my error is when I try to
generate the image from the array of bytes.

To put the image into the database (no errors):
FileInputStream fis = new FileInputStream(file);
PreparedStatement ps = con.prepareStatement("update
userpreferences set image=?, time=? where username=?");
ps.setBinaryStream(1, fis, length);
ps.setInt(2, (int)new java.util.Date().getTime());
ps.setString(3, user);
ps.executeUpdate();
ps.close();
fis.close();
con.commit();
con.close();

To get the image from the database and put it into an array of bytes (no
errors):
con.setAutoCommit(false);
PreparedStatement ps = con.prepareStatement("select image from
userpreferences where username=?");
ps.setString(1, user);
ResultSet rs = ps.executeQuery();
con.commit();
if(rs != null)
if(rs.next()){
InputStream is = rs.getBinaryStream(1);
ByteArrayOutputStream byteStream = new
ByteArrayOutputStream();
int data;
while ((data = is.read()) != -1)
byteStream.write((byte)data);
byte[] buf = byteStream.toByteArray();

is.close();
rs.close();
con.close();
return buf;

I get my error when I try to create my image with the library Jimi.
byte[] data = (got bytes from above);
Image image = Jimi.getImage(new ByteArrayInputStream(data));

The error stack trace I get is:
com.sun.jimi.core.JimiException: Error creating image.
at
com.sun.jimi.core.raster.JimiRasterImageImporter.importImage(JimiRasterImageImporter.java:48)
at com.sun.jimi.core.Jimi.createRasterImage(Jimi.java:929)
at com.sun.jimi.core.Jimi.createRasterImage(Jimi.java:720)
at com.sun.jimi.core.Jimi.createRasterImage(Jimi.java:699)
at com.sun.jimi.core.Jimi.putImage(Jimi.java:587)
at com.sun.jimi.core.Jimi.putImage(Jimi.java:575)
at org.opensimpx.client.gui.ClientGUI.setupGUI(ClientGUI.java:216)
at org.opensimpx.client.gui.ClientGUI.<init>(ClientGUI.java:147)
at org.opensimpx.client.gui.ClientGUI.main(ClientGUI.java:419)
at org.opensimpx.client.login.Login.startClient(Login.java:535)
at org.opensimpx.client.login.Login.main(Login.java:340)

Is this because of how I handled my data, are the bytes bad, do I need
to convert them back to a file since I put them into the database from a
file?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advanced.
Matt