Re: installing postgres on SunOS 5.7 as non-priviledged user

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Mark Tessier and Martine Veilleux <capnatur(at)total(dot)net>
Cc: Postgres <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: installing postgres on SunOS 5.7 as non-priviledged user
Date: 2001-09-04 02:50:23
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi Mark,

Sorry I didn't see this email, I wasn't CC'd on your reply.

At the moment I don't know of any documentation specific to setting up
PostgreSQL as a non-priviledged user, but yes I've heard of it being
done.

OpenSSL, the PostgreSQL startup script, and the Readline libraries don't
come with the PostgreSQL source code, but the links should be present in
the article on the techdocs site.

The main thing from what I remember, is you'll need to reduce the amount
of memory PostgreSQL attempts to start with, in order to use it as the
non-priviledged user (you can do this in the postgresql.conf file in
your database directory).

Also, you may need to check with your SysAdmin/ISP/etc if it's alright
to be running daemons on their server, as some places/people/groups get
really annoyed when they find the users have started long-running
processes.

Hope that's of assistance.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> Mark Tessier and Martine Veilleux wrote:
>
> Thanks for the lead to installing on Solaris. In my case, however,
> I'm installing as a non-priviledged user on my virtual domain. I have
> already asked on this mailing list whether this is possible, and the
> answer is yes. Now I need to know more precisely what I need to
> install in this fashion.
>
> Under the postgres server guidelines where it states the software
> required to be already installed, I know I have:
>

> * gcc version 2.8.1
> * perl version 5.005_02 built for sun4-solaris
> * make (I don't know which version)
>

> The software to be included in the install is:
>

> * PostgreSQL
> * OpenSSL
> * GNU Readline
> * 712solaris78-startup
>

> Does this come with the postgres source installation? Do I need all
> this for my particular install situation?
>
> I have a lot of questions but few answers at this point. Is there
> anybody out there who's successfully done such an installation?
> I realize it would require the help from the technical staff at my
> host server, especially to get the server up and running at boot time.
> If I'm not mistaken, this means every time the server is rebooted, I'd
> have to get somebody with root access to launch postgres under my
> account name (ie., su to my account and launch postgres). Or it was
> mentioned that I could cheat and setup a cronjob that runs as you that
> will fire it up for you.
>
> Perhaps there's a manual specially devoted to this particular
> installation situation, that would make life a little simpler.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

- Indira Gandhi