sub queries and caching.

From: mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: sub queries and caching.
Date: 2001-07-21 18:48:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Take these queries:

select * from foo as F, (select * from bar where name = 'bla') as B where
F.name = B.name
union all
select * from foo as F, (select * from bar where name = 'bla') as B where
F.type = B.type

OR

create temp table B as select * from bar where name = 'bla';
select * from foo as F, B where F.name = B.name
union all
select * from foo as F, B where F.type = B.type;
drop table B;

My question is, which would be more efficient, or is it a wash?
(A note, I will be calling this from an external programming laguage, PHP, so
the first query would be one Postgres pq_exec call, while the second query
would be three separate calls.)

--
5-4-3-2-1 Thunderbirds are GO!