Re: upgrade docs to DocBook V4.1 ?

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
To: Jeff Self <jself(at)greatbridge(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: upgrade docs to DocBook V4.1 ?
Date: 2001-05-24 05:25:13
Lists: pgsql-docs

> > Great Bridge would like to volunteer our services to the PostgreSQL
> > community by upgrading the Community PostgreSQL docs to the latest version
> > (V4.1.2) of DocBook. We would like to hear the community's feedback. Is
> > this a good idea? Are there any objections?

What are the reasons to want to move to v4? Are there features we would
get, or is it mostly to make sure that we stay on a "supported standard"
part of the curve?

Are there extra or other tools we would be able to use? I might ask
about XML vs SGML/DSSSL, but I'm not sure if there are any success
stories using XML and open source tools yet.

> Unless Thomas has reasons for sticking with DocBook 3.1, the main
> objection I can think of is that docs contributors with local sgml-tools
> installations would need to update their installations to 4.1.2.

Well, that would be a good reason for anyone to have concerns about it.
The very recent Mandrake-8.0 ships with v3.1 (unless there is an extra
RPM for v4.x). fwiw, the Mdk-8.0 toolset installation seems to be less
broken than Mdk-7.2 was^H^H^His on my laptop. Are other distros shipping
v4.x?

Is anyone else in the Open Source world officially using v4 yet? We were
one of the very early adopters of the toolset, so maybe we can let
someone else pioneer the bleeding edge for once ;)

- Thomas