Re: COPY commands could use an enhancement.

From: Fernando Nasser <fnasser(at)redhat(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alfred Perlstein <bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: COPY commands could use an enhancement.
Date: 2001-04-30 17:28:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Karen saw me importing data into a database using pgaccess.

Again, this could be useful to someone that it is not a "superuser".
But only superusers can use pgaccess. What a shame :-(

Fernando

P.S.: pgaccess has a much more limited import facility - only text files
and you can only change the delimiter. But it can be expanded.

Tom Lane wrote:

> Alfred Perlstein <bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net> writes:
> > It would be very helpful if the COPY command could be expanded
> > in order to provide positional parameters.
>
> I think it's a bad idea to try to expand COPY into a full-tilt data
> import/conversion utility, which is the direction that this sort of
> suggestion is headed in. COPY is designed as a simple, fast, reliable,
> low-overhead data transfer mechanism for backup and restore. The more
> warts we add to it, the less well it will serve that purpose.
>
> Example: if we allow selective column import, what do we do with missing
> columns? Must COPY now be able to handle insertion of default-value
> expressions?
>
> I think it'd be better to put effort into an external data translation
> utility that can deal with column selection, data reformatting, CR/LF
> conversion, and all those other silly little issues that come up when
> you need to move data from one DBMS to another. Sure, we could make
> the backend do some of this stuff, but it'd be more maintainable as a
> separate program ... IMHO anyway. I think that pgaccess and pgadmin
> already have some capability in this line, BTW.
>
> regards, tom lane

Fernando Nasser
Red Hat Canada Ltd. E-Mail: fnasser(at)redhat(dot)com
2323 Yonge Street, Suite #300
Toronto, Ontario M4P 2C9