Re: CORBA and PG

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Franck Martin <Franck(at)sopac(dot)org>
Cc: "'Peter T Mount'" <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>, PostgreSQL List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CORBA and PG
Date: 2001-03-06 15:07:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I'm trying to look to see if I can store CORBA objects inside PG, any
> ideas...

CORBA has several mechanisms for finding CORBA objects, including the
naming service and the implementation repository. The naming service
provides a directory for objects, returning IORs to allow a client to
contact a server. A database could be used to provide a persistant store
for this information. One could use a database to store rules for an
implementation repository, as well as IOR info.

A CORBA object itself is an executable. So it could be stored as a
binary object, but I'm not sure what the benefits of storage in a
database would be. Some time ago I saw an article on using PostgreSQL to
implment a versioned file system, which might have some aspects similar
to what you are asking about.

Do you have a use case to help us out?

- Thomas