Re: [SQL] connecting to postgres server from Access

From: Markus Wagner <wagner(at)imsd(dot)uni-mainz(dot)de>
To: Joel Burton <jburton(at)scw(dot)org>
Cc: Markus Wagner <mawagner(at)mail(dot)uni-mainz(dot)de>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] connecting to postgres server from Access
Date: 2001-01-11 12:34:35
Lists: pgsql-interfaces pgsql-sql

Hi Joel,

first of all, I looked at the mailing list list at th pg web site and I
did not find a list named "pgsql-interfaces".

In pg_hba.conf I added one line at the bottom with the IP of the client:

host all 134.93.64.47 255.255.255.255 trust

In Access, after installing the pg db as system DSN source, linking to
it and selecting a table and attributes, I get:

"cannot create index for the selected field"

Then the linked table appears in the tables tab in Access. When trying
to open it, I get ("Organisation" is the table to be linked):

"ODBC error:
error while executing the query
ERROR: Organisation: Permission denied (#1)"

I have searched for Windows pg tools but I didn'*t find one.

Please help,

Markus

Joel Burton wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Markus Wagner wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm running a postgres db server on my linux machine. Someone else would like
> > to build his frontends with MS Access and use the postgres server as backend.
> > He installed the Pg/ODBC-Driver linked to at the pg web site. But when he
> > tries to link in some table he always gets an error message about wrong
> > authentication. I inserted his IP address in the pg_hba.conf file and created
> > a linux user account for him as well as a pg user account within "template1".
> > So he could log in and use "createdb" to create his own db. I tried to set
> > his password within pgaccess, but pgaccess claims about wrong input ("").
> > Leaving the password field empty doesn't help to get the connection. Then I
> > set his password with "ALTER USER" in pgsql. But there still is no connection
> > from access to pg yet.
>
> First of all, questions about interfacing to PostgreSQL are better
> directed to pgsql-interfaces list. You might not get much help posting to
> the sql list.
>
> What kind of authorization are you using in pg_hba.conf? (can you post the
> line from pg_hba.conf for him)
>
> What error message does he get in Access?
>
> Can he connect to the database from another Linux/Unix machine via
> psql? (or, from his Windows machine using a PostgreSQL-compatible command
> interface, like isql)?
>
> There's a FAQ on PostgreSQL + Access at www.scw.org/pgaccess. It may help
> as well.
>
> Good luck,
> --
> Joel Burton <jburton(at)scw(dot)org>
> Director of Information Systems, Support Center of Washington

Markus Wagner
Institut fuer Medizinische Statistik und Dokumentation
Johannes-Gutenberg-Universitaet
55101 Mainz
Tel.: 06131-17-5062 E-Mail: wagner(at)imsd(dot)uni-mainz(dot)de