constraint question

From: mwaples(at)optusnet(dot)com(dot)au
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: constraint question
Date: 2000-12-31 21:12:38
Lists: pgsql-novice

I have table users with a varchar field user_name,
Id like to restrict this to just alphanumeric characters
can I do this with a check constraint ?
or do I need to use a tigger and function ?

I've read the docs but can't seem to get it right - Im sure its fairly
simple and Id like to use it on a number of fields in a number of tables