Re: Some advice re:bound/unbound forms for MS Access

From: "Joel Burton" <jburton(at)scw(dot)org>
To: Greg Speegle <Greg(at)10happythings(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Some advice re:bound/unbound forms for MS Access
Date: 2000-11-30 22:21:49
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> Can you store binary data in Access tables? Specifically, if I want to
> store an image and not keep it anywhere but in Access, how do I do
> that?

Either:

a) as a large object. So all the lo help in the manual. It's a little
scattered around, and I'm not clear about all the ins and outs, but it
does let you stick large, arbitrary binary stuff in your tables.
However, in Access, it doesn't appear as a graphic file or movie, as
it would if it were an "OLE Object". Perhaps it can; I've never
figured out how.

b) as a bytea type. Bytea is a little-known, perhaps little-used field
type for binary data. With pg7.0.x, you'll still be limited to 8k rows,
but with the magic of 7.1, that restriction is gone. Again, although
you can store binary data this way, I don't think it can *appear*
this way, as an "OLE Object". Perhaps wiser minds know how.

Good luck.
--
Joel Burton, Director of Information Systems -*- jburton(at)scw(dot)org
Support Center of Washington (www.scw.org)