Re: Call for meeting topics! Next meeting: January 17

From: "Hu, William" <HuW(at)trimet(dot)org>
To: "Jeff Davis" <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, "Selena Deckelmann" <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Postgresql PDX_Users" <pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Call for meeting topics! Next meeting: January 17
Date: 2008-01-04 01:58:50
Lists: pdxpug

Hi Guys,

I work at TriMet as a programmer analyst. We have installed some open
source applications and on the process of implementing more open source
applications. During the process, we have stayed with postgresql
database as the backend. Recently, I recognized that we have to
consolidate all the separate postgresql databases for easy maintenance
while still keeping the development, test, and production environments.
My plan is to create 3 database servers as pgdev, pgtest, and pgprod.
Each database server will host multiple databases for their
applications. For example, a point of sales application will have a POS
database in pgdev, pgtest, and pgprod. While a CMS Plone application
will have a Plone database in pgdev, pgtest, and pgprod.

I am interested learning from you about the following:
1.) Size of the databases you have?
2.) Number of database users? Number of application users? Number of
concurrent users?
3.) How you have set the size of shared memory of the database server?
Any other performance issues?
4.) Can you create cross database/schema reference in Postgresql?
similar like Oracle's synonymous.
5.) Have you tried convert Oracle PL/SQL into pgPL/SQL? How about
triggers?
6.) Postgresql database backup and restore using text or non-text files?
Eg, psql dbname < backup_file vs. pg_restore
7.) Database vacuum flags, such as the one for the ANALYZE option, can
we use it during production hours?
8.) Any security features you may have implemented in addition to the
user, group or roles?

Regards,

William Hu