Re: [GENERAL] libpq.so.2.0 problem

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Trond Eivind Glomsrød <teg(at)redhat(dot)com>, James Hall <James(dot)Hall(at)RadioShack(dot)com>, pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] libpq.so.2.0 problem
Date: 2000-11-07 20:54:24
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-ports

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I've found the problem. Trond was right, it was the fact that the
> programs are linked against libpq.so.2.1, not libpq.so.2. And I was
> right, too :-), in that it was the -soname switch, which essentially seems
> to say "If you link with me, record that fact that I'm really <soname>."

There are two problems here, not just the one. This is the one
problem. The other is that _existing_ RPM packaged apps still need
support -- even though they were linked against the full soname.

> If you want to fix this in the RPMs, do something along the following
> lines (manually simulated patch) in Makefile.shlib:

That is useful information. Thanks.

> Apps linked against the old libraries will not be fixed until relinked.

Or until the RPM's supply 'stop-gap' symlinks to help existing packages.

I'll implement both, as they solve two sides of the same problem.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio