Re: libpq.so.2.0 problem

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Trond Eivind Glomsrød <teg(at)redhat(dot)com>, James Hall <James(dot)Hall(at)RadioShack(dot)com>, pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: libpq.so.2.0 problem
Date: 2000-11-07 19:22:12
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-ports

[cc: list changed -- GENERAL bcc'd, PORTS cc'd]

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Lamar Owen writes:
> > I think that by packaging the RPM's to include libpq.so.2.x as simply
> > libpq.so.2 (as long as 2.x's are link-compatible), I can help alleviate
> > this problem for future builds.

> The symlink order will not be changed, other improvements are
> welcome.

I'm not asking for a change in the core tarball.

I could say more, but I've said it elsewhere, and it really doesn't
deserve repeating, as the decision to continue library versioning in the
core tarball has been made, and I'm not going to question that decision
here.

The changes I am likely to make, barring good technical reasons to not
do so are:
1.) For RedHat 6.x RPM's (as well as RPM's for other distributions that
originally shipped PostgreSQL 6.5.x or 6.4.x), ship a symlink to
libpq.so.2.1 for libpq.so.2.0;
2.) For all RPM's, change the symlinks to be:
libpq.so -> libpq.so.2
libpq.so.2 is the library itself
libpq.so.2.x -> libpq.so.2 (so as to not break compatibility)

No changes are contemplated for libpq.so.1 compatibility -- there are
differences there -- but, of course, if sound technical reasons are
found to do so, I can deal with that as well.

I just want to make it easier to deal with our RPM's, that's all. But,
as always, I am open to technical suggestions.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio