Boolean text, with phrase ranking, search under Postgres

From: markw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
To: pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org(dot)pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Boolean text, with phrase ranking, search under Postgres
Date: 2000-10-16 18:32:38
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-general

I am working on a GPL version of a boolean text search engine for
PostgreSQL.

How it works:

You run a program which executes a query and builds a set of external

Then you run a daemon process which does the processing of the text
query.

In postgres, you create a temporary table of results, call textsearch
which populates the table,
lastly, you join with the results table. The code looks like this:

--
-- Create a temporary table for search results
--
create temp table search_result (key integer, rank integer);
--
-- Call search daemon to populate table
--
select textsearch('performer2{ waitresses } song { i know what boys like
}');

he textsearch function looks like:

create function textsearch(varchar) returns integer as
'
DECLARE
handle integer;
count integer;
pos integer;
BEGIN
handle = search_exec( \'localhost\', $1);

count = search_count(handle);

for pos in 0 .. count-1 loop
insert into search_result(key, rank)
values (search_key(handle,pos),
search_rank(handle,pos));
end loop;

return search_done(handle);

END;
' language 'plpgsql';

What I would like to do is create the result table in the function
and/or accept a table name as a parameter. I can't seem to do this,
perhaps I am missing something trivial.

Is there a way to create a table from within 'c' and return it? I am
not a postgres pro, I am a C/C++ guy and do not know the ins and outs of
Postgres, and it should be a lot easier to make something more eficient.
Any insign would be appreciated.